Multi-Run Overlay

Got a suggestion? Post here! We want to know what you want!
randallprince

Multi-Run Overlay

Post by randallprince » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Does the full version (or any version) have the ability to overlay multiple runs (at least 2) on a single map so I can see the nuance and benefit of taking different lines. I've found this really useful when running TraqMate and would love to see this with a slightly simple program. As a note, I run the OS X version and am impressed with the simplicity and easy of setup with my new QStarz unit.

Thanks!

Glenn L. Austin
Site Admin

Re: Multi-Run Overlay

Post by Glenn L. Austin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 am

When I've done comparisons -- even with far more exacting GPS data from GPS devices costing over $1,000 -- I've found that it has been challenging to quickly distinguish between the two runs -- especially when they are laid on top of each other. I realize that other packages do this, and since they leave all of the analysis up to the user, it makes sense for them.

Comparing runs is one of the reasons that I added segment highlights and times, and especially the reason for the additional "Behind" column when comparing runs. The value in that column is based upon the current position, speed, and distance from the finish for each run. I've found this column invaluable when determining "the best line" through optional elements -- even if my line later isn't quite as optimal. I've seen the "Behind" column demonstrate one corner between runs where one run "gave all the advantage back," going from 0.4 seconds ahead to 1.2 seconds behind. Even though the overall times between the runs were very similar (0.1 second difference), the "Behind" column showed the difference.

As a reference, my design guideline for the "Behind" column was to be able to determine the quicker time to finish between a car farther from the finish but moving versus a car closer to the finish but *currently* stationary. The math and physics behind that simple design guideline is far more complex than it seems at first!

I might be able to add multiple-run plotting to a single map as a preference, but you might see if the segment highlights, segment times, and "Behind" time can give you what you need -- without really having to know all of the calculus!

P.S. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. My life has been kind of challenging lately due to some family health issues.